Bookmarks

Yahoo Gmail Google Facebook Delicious Twitter Reddit Stumpleupon Myspace Digg

Search queries

why did Scabbers bite goyle, fuldataler mineralwasser, bikemate fahrradcomputer t52434 anleitung, frank zappa iq 172 liam gallagher 164, "heartbroke kid" "previous episode references", bikemate t52434 anleitung, marietta edgecombe cop out, kaufland autobatterie, nasi goreng in dosen kaufen, micromaxx mm 3544 universalfernbedienung

Links

XODOX
Impressum

#1: Whoops - that stupid horcrux theory!

Posted on 2006-07-21 09:32:05 by Aselloth

I find the horcrux theory less and less convincing. I cannot see, how
JKR could write something with such poor arguments.
I mean, first, thing, why would LV make horcruxes so easy to find apart
from his sentimental attachment to his past. His history and magical
protections are like neon signs pointing toward horcruxes! I mean, to
put the horcrux in the middle of the lake with green glow around it -
pleeeease!! With so many other options around! Imagine how bizarre it
would be if the horcrux was in fact lying in the form of a regular rock
on the bottom of the lake? Now, THAT would be a clever thing to do.
And second, to base the assumption on the number of the horcruxes on
one dialog between Riddle and Slughorn seems really insane. What if
Harry kills LV and then discovers there were, let's say, thirteen
horcruxes. Or that there were seven, not six (not counting the soul
piece still in LV).
Whoops?
Third - isn't it a bit too coincidental that the only horcrux not being
precious and glittering was so conveniently destroyed in the CoS?
Imagine it wasn't, how could DD possibly conclude that one of the
horcuxes has a shape of a diary??
I sure hope the horcrux theory will change its shape in the book 7
significantly.
We cannot have the current theory and a good book 7 :)

Report this message

#2: Re: Whoops - that stupid horcrux theory!

Posted on 2006-07-21 11:27:06 by Kish

Aselloth wrote:

Spoilers for HBP.

20

19

18

17

16

15

14

13

12

11

10

9

8

7

6

5

4

3

2

1


> I find the horcrux theory less and less convincing. I cannot see, how
> JKR could write something with such poor arguments.
> I mean, first, thing, why would LV make horcruxes so easy to find apart
> from his sentimental attachment to his past. His history and magical
> protections are like neon signs pointing toward horcruxes! I mean, to
> put the horcrux in the middle of the lake with green glow around it -
> pleeeease!! With so many other options around! Imagine how bizarre it
> would be if the horcrux was in fact lying in the form of a regular rock
> on the bottom of the lake? Now, THAT would be a clever thing to do.
> And second, to base the assumption on the number of the horcruxes on
> one dialog between Riddle and Slughorn seems really insane. What if
> Harry kills LV and then discovers there were, let's say, thirteen
> horcruxes. Or that there were seven, not six (not counting the soul
> piece still in LV).
> Whoops?
> Third - isn't it a bit too coincidental that the only horcrux not being
> precious and glittering was so conveniently destroyed in the CoS?
> Imagine it wasn't, how could DD possibly conclude that one of the
> horcuxes has a shape of a diary??

If that one that had been destroyed in book 2 was the goblet, Dumbledore
would probably have shown Harry a Pensieve memory involving the diary,
and explained why it was significant to Voldemort.

We don't know what the "something of Gryffindor's or Ravenclaw's" will
turn out to be, so we don't know if it's precious or glittering, except
for sentimental value to Voldemort. Nagini, however, is neither
precious nor, likely, glittering.

Why would LV make Horcruxes so easy to find apart from his sentimental
attachment to his past? How can Dumbledore know from Voldemort's
conversation with Slughorn that Voldemort's soul is in seven pieces? If
Voldemort being psychologically messed up ruins the books for you, I
wonder that you made it through six of them. He's been messed up since
PS/SS. If you're going to ask why he only makes Horcruxes of things
that he views as symbolically important, and why he chooses to split his
soul into the number of pieces he considers most magically significant,
why don't you start with a more fundamental display of illogic, and ask
why he doesn't realize that Muggle-born wizards are just as powerful and
worthy of life as pure-bloods?

Report this message

#3: Re: Whoops - that stupid horcrux theory!

Posted on 2006-07-21 14:47:10 by Thomas Madura

Aselloth wrote:
> I find the horcrux theory less and less convincing. I cannot see, how
> JKR could write something with such poor arguments.
> I mean, first, thing, why would LV make horcruxes so easy to find apart
> from his sentimental attachment to his past. His history and magical
> protections are like neon signs pointing toward horcruxes! I mean, to
> put the horcrux in the middle of the lake with green glow around it -
> pleeeease!! With so many other options around! Imagine how bizarre it
> would be if the horcrux was in fact lying in the form of a regular rock
> on the bottom of the lake? Now, THAT would be a clever thing to do.
> And second, to base the assumption on the number of the horcruxes on
> one dialog between Riddle and Slughorn seems really insane. What if
> Harry kills LV and then discovers there were, let's say, thirteen
> horcruxes. Or that there were seven, not six (not counting the soul
> piece still in LV).
> Whoops?
> Third - isn't it a bit too coincidental that the only horcrux not being
> precious and glittering was so conveniently destroyed in the CoS?
> Imagine it wasn't, how could DD possibly conclude that one of the
> horcuxes has a shape of a diary??
> I sure hope the horcrux theory will change its shape in the book 7
> significantly.
> We cannot have the current theory and a good book 7 :)
>

Actually - it appears that JKR is "running out of time" and not properly
setting up her story lines. A good example of this is the Fleur-Weasley
wedding - that came up quick! So quick inn fact that I believe she had
to put it in to establish a "place" where something bad is going to happen.

We have LOTS of questions unanswered about Horcruxes. A chapter would be
needed to answer them all - and I doubt we will get all the answers with
only one book left. For example:

What can be a horcrux?
How is a Horcrux spell done?
How long do you have after the "murder" to make a horcrux?
Can a Horcrux defend itself - or is other magic needed to do so?
Do you know if a Horcrux is destroyed (Possibly answered - but not
definitively)

Then we have the question of what the "soul fragment" can or cannot
bring to the host. The "horcrux" is really just an encasement for the
soul fragment - which is the real operative part of the process. Does a
soul bit HAVE powers? Can it pass powers to its host? How does a Horcrux
being a living thing effect it? For instance - when slughorn talked
about free will of the living host - did he mean that the living thing
has the ability to REJECT the soul bit(What else could he have meant)?

Because of the time restraints of one book left - I believe that the one
dicussion with Slughorn and that number of Horcruxes to be the true
amount (6 plus the main part = seven). THere is a basic reason why - if
there were LOTS more - or even just one more - it would make Harry's
ability to defeat V impossible. THere does not appear to be any OTHER
way to determine how many Horcruxes exist - other than maybe asking V
himself if HE rememebers. SInce JKR has said that we have all the
information we need to solve the problems - then this is the information
we have and it must be right.

If the amount is not true - then Harry could spend the rest of his life
looking for the Horcruxes and never be able to vanquish Riddle. I really
don't think JKR will come up with THAT possibility UNLESS an additional
Horcrux is somehow directly identified in book seven - which I do not
believe will happen since it would make it the "wrong" number - seven
being a special amount.

I also believe that JKR - based on Dumbledore's comments about the Diary
being a Horcrux - tried to elongate the search for them BACKWARDS in the
earlier times by letting DD say he knew BEFORE. That would then make it
less coincidence when he finds them - since he has been looking for YEARS.

Just the fact that the Horcruxes were introduced so late in the process
means to me that they do not have all the powers that people in this
group have given them. THere is no indication that a Horcrux can tranfer
powers to anyone or anything other than the person from whom the soul
bit came - Diary Tom Riddle WAS Tom Riddle. Did DD give up partial use
of his hand to the ring because it was a Horcrux - or was it because of
protection spells that the ring also had (More likely the latter).

THat bring us to the "scar".

On her website - JKR has clearly said that the scar is what gives Harry
some of Riddle's powers. With the primary exception of Parceltongue - we
have no idea what powers or how powerful they are.

I reject the notion that the scar is a Horcrux - accidentally produced.
A horcrux - since a single one could keep a person "half-alive" - must
contain a complete set of powers of the originator. Harry does not
appear to have ALL of Riddle's powers (Or even a large number of them).
However - the biggest reason I believe that Harry is not a horcrux is
that Riddle was unable to possess Harry at the MOM for any long period
of time becasue of the "love" in him. I believe that "love" would also
reject a part of Riddle as well. I don't believe that a "partial" part
of Riddle could do any better than a whole living part of him. WHen you
add that to the "how many Horcruxes are there?" problem and Harry being
a Horcrux doesn't follow.

Report this message

#4: Re: Whoops - that stupid horcrux theory!

Posted on 2006-07-21 16:05:01 by flip+

&quot;Aselloth&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:aselloth&#64;gmail.com" target="_blank">aselloth&#64;gmail.com</a>&gt; writes:
&gt;I find the horcrux theory less and less convincing. [...]
&gt;His history and magical protections are like neon signs pointing
&gt;toward horcruxes!
Tom is a show off, he is also arrogant. He thinks that he is so
clever that he can say: &quot;Here is something of value to me, but i've
protected it so someone as miserable as you cannot touch it... HA!&quot;

&gt;Now, THAT would be a clever thing to do.
Always remember that evil folks, no matter how powerful, are stupid in
most literature.

&gt;And second, to base the assumption on the number of the horcruxes on
&gt;one dialog between Riddle and Slughorn seems really insane.
Tom is also fairly regimented. He sees 7 as a very powerful number,
and *likely* split his soul into 7 pieces. No, we don't know for
sure... but as pointed out by others, and yourself, it would make a
long book if it were say 49 (7 7s) pieces of soul. I suspect we will
have *some* sort of closure in book (ta, ta ta TAAAA!) &quot;7&quot;.


&gt;Or that there were seven, not six (not counting the soul piece still in LV).
Yup... it's possible he is not good at math. (or &quot;maths&quot; as non
americans would say. ;)

&gt;Third - isn't it a bit too coincidental that the only horcrux not being
&gt;precious and glittering was so conveniently destroyed in the CoS?

&gt;Imagine it wasn't, how could DD possibly conclude that one of the
&gt;horcuxes has a shape of a diary??
By nature of the effects of the diary, his extensive knowledge of
magic, and 3-4 years of contiplation.

I suspect that the diary was a first attempt.... possibly made with
the soul split which probabably occured with Myrtles death, and thus
less &quot;glittery&quot; than the others.

--
May no harm befall you,
flip
Ich habe keine Ahnung was das bedeutet, oder vielleicht doch?

Report this message

#5: Re: Whoops - that stupid horcrux theory!

Posted on 2006-07-21 20:20:39 by lesliemills2002

Aselloth wrote:
&gt; I find the horcrux theory less and less convincing. I cannot see, how
&gt; JKR could write something with such poor arguments.
&gt; I mean, first, thing, why would LV make horcruxes so easy to find apart
&gt; from his sentimental attachment to his past.

You mean hiding a horcrux deep in a cave up a cliff isolated by water
is easy to find, or hiding a ring in a run-down, deserted home?

&gt; His history and magical
&gt; protections are like neon signs pointing toward horcruxes! I mean, to
&gt; put the horcrux in the middle of the lake with green glow around it -
&gt; pleeeease!!

The first and second lines of defenses were perfectly ordinary barriers
which would not attract a wizard's attention. The entrance to the
glowing lake was magically based to keep out muggles, but detectible to
a wizard. Consequently, all further safeguards were magical since the
security through obscurity defense had already been breeched.

&gt; With so many other options around! Imagine how bizarre it
&gt; would be if the horcrux was in fact lying in the form of a regular rock
&gt; on the bottom of the lake? Now, THAT would be a clever thing to do.

Just hope that a merman doesn't split the rock to use to make his
underground dwelling. Even then, Dumbledore could still be likely to
use a memory of Voldemort being interested in a particular lake, detect
any enchanted rocks, and destroy their horcrux encasing ability.

&gt; And second, to base the assumption on the number of the horcruxes on
&gt; one dialog between Riddle and Slughorn seems really insane. What if
&gt; Harry kills LV and then discovers there were, let's say, thirteen
&gt; horcruxes. Or that there were seven, not six (not counting the soul
&gt; piece still in LV).
&gt; Whoops?

Yep, whoops. Either Dumbledore jumped to conclusion, or believes
Voldemort tends to tip his hand when exited. Check out other
Voldemort-supplied revelations:

- He revealed his sadism, Parseltoungue ability, and belief of his
superiority to Dumbledore when he learned he was a wizard.
- Upon his return to a proper body, Voldemort boasted how his
experiments and how he went further along the path of immortality than
any other wizard. This of course hinted at his use of multiple
horcruxes
- When questioning Slughorn, Voldemort's glee of finding a means of
immortality made him reveal his belief that a seven part soul (or seven
horcruxes) would be the ideal number of horcruxes, rather than subtly
asking what would happen if a wizard made multiple horcruxes.

&gt; Third - isn't it a bit too coincidental that the only horcrux not being
&gt; precious and glittering was so conveniently destroyed in the CoS?

Nagini isn't precious and glittering, and we have no idea what the
Ravenclaw/Gryffindore horcrux or horcruxes look like.

&gt; Imagine it wasn't, how could DD possibly conclude that one of the
&gt; horcuxes has a shape of a diary??

Imagine if Sherlock Holmes did not bother to look for the right clues,
then how could he possibly figure out who dunnit?

&gt; I sure hope the horcrux theory will change its shape in the book 7
&gt; significantly.
&gt; We cannot have the current theory and a good book 7 :)

I have to disagree.

Report this message

#6: Re: Whoops - that stupid horcrux theory!

Posted on 2006-07-21 20:31:44 by ag30476

Aselloth wrote:
&gt; I find the horcrux theory less and less convincing. I cannot see, how
&gt; JKR could write something with such poor arguments.

Yeah! And why don't all the bad guys attack the kung-fu guy at the same
time. And why doesn't the bad guy stick arount make sure James Bond is
dead. And why don't they ever take out Blip in Space Ghost. That monkey
has ruined more plans then...

Look, at some point you have to suspend belief. As things go, Voldemort
is a pretty believable bad guy and the horcrux thing adds to the
mystery/magic/big bad evilness.

If you're looking at the way horcrux magical mechanics work, you're
looking too deeply.

Report this message

#7: Re: Whoops - that stupid horcrux theory!

Posted on 2006-07-21 20:55:19 by ag30476

Aselloth wrote:
&gt; I find the horcrux theory less and less convincing. I cannot see, how
&gt; JKR could write something with such poor arguments....Imagine how bizarre it
&gt; would be if the horcrux was in fact lying in the form of a regular rock
&gt; on the bottom of the lake? Now, THAT would be a clever thing to do.

OK here is a test...why should you *not* think this way:

1) LV kills someone makes a horcrux
2) He puts horcrux in a shack in the woods
3) He gets another person and casts the Fidelius Charm to hide the
location of the shack
4) He kills this person. The secret dies with him.
5) He makes no more horcruxes, ignores the prophecy, and doesn't worry
about dying anymore.

Hint: there is at least one meta-story reason and at least one
character reason for not doing this.

Report this message

#8: Re: Whoops - that stupid horcrux theory!

Posted on 2006-07-22 09:51:40 by Toon

On 21 Jul 2006 00:32:05 -0700, &quot;Aselloth&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:aselloth&#64;gmail.com" target="_blank">aselloth&#64;gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:

&gt;I find the horcrux theory less and less convincing. I cannot see, how
&gt;JKR could write something with such poor arguments.
&gt;I mean, first, thing, why would LV make horcruxes so easy to find apart
&gt;from his sentimental attachment to his past. His history and magical
&gt;protections are like neon signs pointing toward horcruxes! I mean, to
&gt;put the horcrux in the middle of the lake with green glow around it -
&gt;pleeeease!! With so many other options around! Imagine how bizarre it
&gt;would be if the horcrux was in fact lying in the form of a regular rock
&gt;on the bottom of the lake? Now, THAT would be a clever thing to do.

V is a megalomaniac. he believes himself so superior, he leaves it
lying out in plain sight, let's you know it's there, then stops you
with his traps. How clever of him.

&gt;And second, to base the assumption on the number of the horcruxes on
&gt;one dialog between Riddle and Slughorn seems really insane. What if
&gt;Harry kills LV and then discovers there were, let's say, thirteen
&gt;horcruxes. Or that there were seven, not six (not counting the soul
&gt;piece still in LV).
&gt;Whoops?

No whoops. V's not dead. Again. And Dd already knew there were
multi Horcruxes. The number was unknown. And sadly, this is how V
thinks. 7 is a powerful number. Having 7 fragments of his soul will
make him even more immortal. and chances are, he has an extra one,
because he didn't know Harry's scar became one that night.

&gt;Third - isn't it a bit too coincidental that the only horcrux not being
&gt;precious and glittering was so conveniently destroyed in the CoS?
&gt;Imagine it wasn't, how could DD possibly conclude that one of the
&gt;horcuxes has a shape of a diary??

We don't know all of them yet. Very few are glittering. Nagini
isn't, if she is one. The real locket could have been quite
tarnished.

&gt;I sure hope the horcrux theory will change its shape in the book 7
&gt;significantly.

That won't happen. It's established fact as is.

&gt;We cannot have the current theory and a good book 7 :)

Sure we can. In fact, I predict it'll be a best seller, and get there
quite fast.

Report this message

#9: Re: Whoops - that stupid horcrux theory!

Posted on 2006-07-22 09:56:24 by Toon

On 21 Jul 2006 11:31:44 -0700, <a href="mailto:ag30476&#64;gmail.com" target="_blank">ag30476&#64;gmail.com</a> wrote:

&gt;And why don't they ever take out Blip in Space Ghost. That monkey
&gt;has ruined more plans then...

No one can hurt a monkey. Shouldn't Professor Utonium create an
Antidote to Chemical X and eliminate the threat of Mojo JoJo forever?
No, because he's a chimp, a variation of a monkey, and weakening him
counts as hurting. and it's fun watching a genius chimp lose to 3 5
year old girls.

Report this message

#10: Re: Whoops - that stupid horcrux theory!

Posted on 2006-07-22 13:46:39 by DaveD

&quot;Thom Madura&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:Thom-Madura&#64;Worldnet.att.net" target="_blank">Thom-Madura&#64;Worldnet.att.net</a>&gt; wrote in message
news:i14wg.156526$<a href="mailto:mF2.136826&#64;bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net..." target="_blank">mF2.136826&#64;bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...</a>
&gt; Aselloth wrote:

....

&gt; Actually - it appears that JKR is &quot;running out of time&quot; and not properly
&gt; setting up her story lines. A good example of this is the Fleur-Weasley
&gt; wedding - that came up quick! So quick inn fact that I believe she had
&gt; to put it in to establish a &quot;place&quot; where something bad is going to
happen.

Why is everyone so convinced that something bad's going to happen at the
wedding? Has JKR said something in an interview that I missed, or is it that
a similar dynamic to the quiditch world cup is expected - a great
entertainment with everyone enjoying themselves, set up for a big fall when
something awful happens (the DEs harrassing the muggles in GOF, DEs
correspondingly attacking the wedding in book 7)?


&gt; We have LOTS of questions unanswered about Horcruxes. A chapter would be
&gt; needed to answer them all - and I doubt we will get all the answers with
&gt; only one book left. For example:
&gt;
&gt; What can be a horcrux?

Already answered - most things can including living creatures, but some
things are more sensible choices than others.

&gt; How is a Horcrux spell done?
&gt; How long do you have after the &quot;murder&quot; to make a horcrux?

Not sure we need too much detail - but it would help to know if you can have
one set up ready in advance and just need to pull the trigger, or if you
have to do the murder then go through the whole rigamarole. Can you do a
murder and leave it on the side till you get a convenient moment to do the
corresponding horcrux. For me this detail is necessary to know if Harry was
an accidental horcrux (sort of pulling the trigger on a gun by accident).


&gt; Can a Horcrux defend itself - or is other magic needed to do so?

Don't think so - but you can include protective magic which is presumably
what injured Dd (and possibly what may have killed RAB if/when he destroyed
the locket horcrux, leaving the possibly-now-horcrux-free locket at 12GP).


&gt; Do you know if a Horcrux is destroyed (Possibly answered - but not
&gt; definitively)

Dd says probably not, when you've got so many


&gt; Then we have the question of what the &quot;soul fragment&quot; can or cannot
&gt; bring to the host. The &quot;horcrux&quot; is really just an encasement for the
&gt; soul fragment - which is the real operative part of the process. Does a
&gt; soul bit HAVE powers? Can it pass powers to its host? How does a Horcrux
&gt; being a living thing effect it? For instance - when slughorn talked
&gt; about free will of the living host - did he mean that the living thing
&gt; has the ability to REJECT the soul bit(What else could he have meant)?

Yes, this is really important - but we may get answers inferred to all these
questions if it turns out Harry or his scar is one.


&gt; Because of the time restraints of one book left - I believe that the one
&gt; dicussion with Slughorn and that number of Horcruxes to be the true
&gt; amount (6 plus the main part = seven). THere is a basic reason why - if
&gt; there were LOTS more - or even just one more - it would make Harry's
&gt; ability to defeat V impossible. THere does not appear to be any OTHER
&gt; way to determine how many Horcruxes exist - other than maybe asking V
&gt; himself if HE rememebers. SInce JKR has said that we have all the
&gt; information we need to solve the problems - then this is the information
&gt; we have and it must be right.

I think we have to take Riddle's question about 7 being the perfect magic
number as our answer to that, hence the way that memory was set up to be the
most important of all the memories Dd went looking for.


[snip]

&gt; Just the fact that the Horcruxes were introduced so late in the process
&gt; means to me that they do not have all the powers that people in this
&gt; group have given them. THere is no indication that a Horcrux can tranfer
&gt; powers to anyone or anything other than the person from whom the soul
&gt; bit came - Diary Tom Riddle WAS Tom Riddle. Did DD give up partial use
&gt; of his hand to the ring because it was a Horcrux - or was it because of
&gt; protection spells that the ring also had (More likely the latter).

Yes Diary Tom was the real Tom. But he did possess Ginny and IIRC she could
talk parceltongue while he did so.

&gt; THat bring us to the &quot;scar&quot;.
&gt;
&gt; On her website - JKR has clearly said that the scar is what gives Harry
&gt; some of Riddle's powers. With the primary exception of Parceltongue - we
&gt; have no idea what powers or how powerful they are.
&gt;
&gt; I reject the notion that the scar is a Horcrux - accidentally produced.
&gt; A horcrux - since a single one could keep a person &quot;half-alive&quot; - must
&gt; contain a complete set of powers of the originator.

Why must it be a complete set - I suspect it is, but I don't see why it has
to be so from what we've been told. It only has to serve as an anchor
preventing the soul moving on and the person dying.

&gt; Harry does not
&gt; appear to have ALL of Riddle's powers (Or even a large number of them).

How do we know - as you say, we don't know what Voldy's additional powers
are. However, there's a huge clue there: parceltongue is very rare indeed.
Yet Voldy has it and so does Harry, and Dd thinks it was passed onto him
when Voldy gave him his scar. That's not a coincidence, it's a bloody great
neon-lit sign in the sky :)


&gt; However - the biggest reason I believe that Harry is not a horcrux is
&gt; that Riddle was unable to possess Harry at the MOM for any long period
&gt; of time becasue of the &quot;love&quot; in him. I believe that &quot;love&quot; would also
&gt; reject a part of Riddle as well. I don't believe that a &quot;partial&quot; part
&gt; of Riddle could do any better than a whole living part of him. WHen you
&gt; add that to the &quot;how many Horcruxes are there?&quot; problem and Harry being
&gt; a Horcrux doesn't follow.

Ah, now I think it's because the horcrux usually sits latent in Harry's
blood or the scar, in the background. As long as it's latent, it's not
attached by the love in Harry - sort of how some viruses can sit dormant for
years. But as soon as Voldy tries to switch it on by possessing Harry,
that's when it's vulnerable, and that's when the love can attack it, making
it painful or impossible for Voldy to stay in possession of Harry for long.
Which I suspect is how Harry will vanquish him.

In OoTP, JKR went to great troubles to point out Harry should have talked to
Ginny about her possession vs his dreams - there were clear differences. Yet
there are also other times when Harry is possessed that are much closer to
Ginny's experience. We haven't heard of any other occasions when one wizard
possesses another in the same way (other than the prophecy talking over Prof
Trelawney). It seems that the experiences are much more similar in that
Harry isn't aware of what's going on and can't really fight it. That to me
is Voldy using the horcrux in Harry.

(That said, it was the diary that was the horcrux, but I think somehow it
was landing point for the horcrux to go off and possess someone and take
them over).

DaveD

Report this message

#11: Re: Whoops - that stupid horcrux theory!

Posted on 2006-07-22 18:19:20 by Eric Bohlman

Toon &lt;<a href="mailto:toon&#64;toon.com" target="_blank">toon&#64;toon.com</a>&gt; wrote in news:kvl3c2dortg47jr0bg23tk7a7vdjj0lje6@
4ax.com:

&gt; No whoops. V's not dead. Again. And Dd already knew there were
&gt; multi Horcruxes. The number was unknown. And sadly, this is how V
&gt; thinks. 7 is a powerful number. Having 7 fragments of his soul will
&gt; make him even more immortal. and chances are, he has an extra one,
&gt; because he didn't know Harry's scar became one that night.

&quot;even more immortal&quot;?

Report this message

#12: Re: Whoops - that stupid horcrux theory!

Posted on 2006-07-23 10:03:14 by Toon

On 22 Jul 2006 16:19:20 GMT, Eric Bohlman &lt;<a href="mailto:ebohlman&#64;omsdev.com" target="_blank">ebohlman&#64;omsdev.com</a>&gt; wrote:

&gt;Toon &lt;<a href="mailto:toon&#64;toon.com" target="_blank">toon&#64;toon.com</a>&gt; wrote in news:kvl3c2dortg47jr0bg23tk7a7vdjj0lje6@
&gt;4ax.com:
&gt;
&gt;&gt; No whoops. V's not dead. Again. And Dd already knew there were
&gt;&gt; multi Horcruxes. The number was unknown. And sadly, this is how V
&gt;&gt; thinks. 7 is a powerful number. Having 7 fragments of his soul will
&gt;&gt; make him even more immortal. and chances are, he has an extra one,
&gt;&gt; because he didn't know Harry's scar became one that night.
&gt;
&gt;&quot;even more immortal&quot;?

Nobody said this guy's a genius. And he's unnaturally obsessed with
immortality.

Report this message

#13: Re: Whoops - that stupid villain theory!

Posted on 2006-07-24 05:24:34 by nospam

In article &lt;<a href="mailto:1153467125.557609.231120&#64;b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com" target="_blank">1153467125.557609.231120&#64;b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com</a>&gt;,
Aselloth &lt;<a href="mailto:aselloth&#64;gmail.com" target="_blank">aselloth&#64;gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:
&gt;I find the horcrux theory less and less convincing. I cannot see, how
&gt;JKR could write something with such poor arguments.
&gt;I mean, first, thing, why would LV make horcruxes so easy to find apart
&gt;from his sentimental attachment to his past. His history and magical
&gt;protections are like neon signs pointing toward horcruxes! I mean, to
&gt;put the horcrux in the middle of the lake with green glow around it -
&gt;pleeeease!! With so many other options around! Imagine how bizarre it
&gt;would be if the horcrux was in fact lying in the form of a regular rock
&gt;on the bottom of the lake? Now, THAT would be a clever thing to do.

&quot;The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the
Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of
Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the
object which is my one weakness.&quot;

-- From &quot;The Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord&quot;

As Hermione says at one point, wizards have no logic. Something that
occured to me about the horcrux business--does Voldy ever need these
things again? I don't think he does, so long as they exist. He was
able to re-incarnate without fetching any of the horcruxes. So, instead
of stashing so many of them in England, he should be burying them in
the Antarctic ice cap, or sinking them in the Marianas trench. He
could make a particularly tough object a horcrux--steel, protected
by some spells perhaps-- take it outside and give it a magical push
upward, just keep pushing until it achieves escape velocity. They'll
never find that one.

If Hermione goes bad, the wizarding world will be in deep shit. It
would probably occur to her to use weapons for which there is no known
magical defense, such as AK-47's.

--
Please reply to: | &quot;Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is
pciszek at panix dot com | indistinguishable from malice.&quot;
Autoreply is disabled |

Report this message