Bookmarks

Yahoo Gmail Google Facebook Delicious Twitter Reddit Stumpleupon Myspace Digg

Search queries

why did Scabbers bite goyle, fuldataler mineralwasser, bikemate fahrradcomputer t52434 anleitung, frank zappa iq 172 liam gallagher 164, "heartbroke kid" "previous episode references", bikemate t52434 anleitung, marietta edgecombe cop out, kaufland autobatterie, nasi goreng in dosen kaufen, micromaxx mm 3544 universalfernbedienung

Links

XODOX
Impressum

#1: [M] Volume control

Posted on 2006-07-16 07:45:31 by Flesh-eating Dragon

Sometimes afp is too noisy, while other times it is too quiet.
Realising that we'll never agree on what volume of posting is
reasonable, I thought I'd mention my own resolutions, and invite
others to share theirs if they want to.

I recently resolved:

(a) To post no more than twelve articles in a day.
(b) To post no more than four articles to the same thread in a day.
(c) That these figures are strict, non-transferrable maxima, NOT
averages. Posting less one day does not entitle me to post more
the next.
(d) That a day is defined as from midnight to midnight in my local
timezone (GMT+0930).

I understand that some people will consider these measures inadequete,
but it represents my own notion of appropriateness, on a subject where
opinions are diverse. It prevents wilder excess without making afp
less fun.

This is number ten, so I'm allowed two more posts this evening.

Adrian.

Report this message

#2: Re: [M] Volume control

Posted on 2006-07-16 20:43:35 by Lesley Weston

in article e9ck5r$3147$<a href="mailto:1&#64;mud.stack.nl" target="_blank">1&#64;mud.stack.nl</a>, 8'FED at <a href="mailto:dragon&#64;netyp.com.au" target="_blank">dragon&#64;netyp.com.au</a> wrote on
15/07/2006 10:45 PM:

&gt; Sometimes afp is too noisy, while other times it is too quiet.
&gt; Realising that we'll never agree on what volume of posting is
&gt; reasonable, I thought I'd mention my own resolutions, and invite
&gt; others to share theirs if they want to.
&gt;
&gt; I recently resolved:
&gt;
&gt; (a) To post no more than twelve articles in a day.
&gt; (b) To post no more than four articles to the same thread in a day.
&gt; (c) That these figures are strict, non-transferrable maxima, NOT
&gt; averages. Posting less one day does not entitle me to post more
&gt; the next.
&gt; (d) That a day is defined as from midnight to midnight in my local
&gt; timezone (GMT+0930).
&gt;
&gt; I understand that some people will consider these measures inadequete,
&gt; but it represents my own notion of appropriateness, on a subject where
&gt; opinions are diverse. It prevents wilder excess without making afp
&gt; less fun.
&gt;
&gt; This is number ten, so I'm allowed two more posts this evening.

&lt;Not snipped, because it's all relevant&gt;

Often I'm not sure, but this time I know for certain that you're Employing
Irony. Which is always nice to see.

--
Lesley Weston.

Brightly_coloured_blob is real, but I don't often check even the few bits
that get through Yahoo's filters. To reach me, use leswes att shaw dott ca,
changing spelling and spacing as required.

Report this message

#3: Re: [M] Volume control

Posted on 2006-07-17 02:30:16 by Flesh-eating Dragon

Lesley Weston wrote:

&gt; Often I'm not sure, but this time I know for certain that you're Employing
&gt; Irony. Which is always nice to see.

No, you're wrong. I'm serious, and am Employing Consideration For Others.

Adrian.

Report this message

#4: Re: [M] Volume control

Posted on 2006-07-17 07:21:04 by Stacie Hanes

8'FED wrote:
&gt; Lesley Weston wrote:
&gt;
&gt;&gt; Often I'm not sure, but this time I know for certain that you're
&gt;&gt; Employing Irony. Which is always nice to see.
&gt;
&gt; No, you're wrong. I'm serious, and am Employing Consideration For
&gt; Others.

If it were me saying it (and I did say something very like, very recently) I
would be Showing Consideration in an inescapably ironic way.

Doing Good in the most evil way possible, in other words.

--
4th swordswoman of the afpocalypse, AFPMinister of Flexible Weapons,
Bondage-happy predator, Speaker-To-Students, SadoMangoist,
AFPMistress to peachy, 8'FED's AFPDeliciousSnack, AFPFiance to A.
Nevill , Graycat's Guttersnipe

Report this message

#5: Re: [M] Volume control

Posted on 2006-07-17 10:23:50 by Peter Ellis

8'FED wrote:
&gt; Lesley Weston wrote:
&gt;
&gt;&gt; Often I'm not sure, but this time I know for certain that you're
&gt;&gt; Employing Irony. Which is always nice to see.
&gt;
&gt; No, you're wrong. I'm serious, and am Employing Consideration For
&gt; Others.

However, using up one of your ration of posts solely to indicate the fact
that you were rationed and running short would seem to be an example of
Employing Daftness for Dramatic Purposes.

Peter

Report this message

#6: Re: [M] Volume control

Posted on 2006-07-17 13:12:36 by Flesh-eating Dragon

Peter Ellis wrote:

&gt; However, using up one of your ration of posts solely to indicate the fact that
&gt; you were rationed and running short would seem to be an example of Employing
&gt; Daftness for Dramatic Purposes.

I agree, it would.

So it's just as well that scenario is counterfactual, innit? :-)

The bulk of posts to afp (which I might wish to reply to) take place
while I'm asleep, or in the morning, because most afpers live in
European or American timezones. It was 3:15pm when I posted, and I
knew that I would be watching television for a couple of hours that
evening [1]. With these facts in mind, and with two posts remaining, I
would not allege that I was running short. [2]

No, I used up a post because I consider the topic to be of general
interest and worthy of group contemplation. That is, the topic of what
individuals can do to accomodate (or at least compromise with) the
view that too high a proportion of posts are contributed by too few
people, and related topics. I probably do post a little too
frivolously at times [3], and expect a self-enforced quota to help me
remember to think twice. By mentioning my decision, I might even
spread the meme that people can make conscious, premeditated decisions
about what their posting habits ought to be. Which can't be bad.

Adrian.

[1] David Attenborough documentary followed by Charles Dickins
adaptation.

[2] I'm running even less short now. This is my eighth, and there are
only two and a quarter hours until midnight.

[3] There is a balance to be observed, as too little frivolity is
also undesirable. For example, IMO, part of the fun of afp is
trying to bait people, but low-volume posters don't play that
game.

Report this message

#7: Re: [M] Volume control

Posted on 2006-07-17 13:12:36 by Kevin Golding

8'FED &lt;<a href="mailto:dragon&#64;netyp.com.au" target="_blank">dragon&#64;netyp.com.au</a>&gt; once did write....
&gt;The bulk of posts to afp (which I might wish to reply to) take place
&gt;while I'm asleep, or in the morning, because most afpers live in
&gt;European or American timezones. It was 3:15pm when I posted, and I
&gt;knew that I would be watching television for a couple of hours that
&gt;evening [1]. With these facts in mind, and with two posts remaining, I
&gt;would not allege that I was running short. [2]

&gt;[2] I'm running even less short now. This is my eighth, and there are
&gt; only two and a quarter hours until midnight.

So if you keep coming in under your allowance without even trying I'm
not sure I fully grasp what this limit achieves? In fact, looking at
Aq's stats you're apparently posting an average of 5.2 posts/day which
would make your limit of 12 a bit like me promising not to spend more
than 100UKP/day on bread - so far above average as to be slightly
redundant.

In fact, working from Aq's figures again the most frequent poster is
only 8.1 anyway so there's almost a 50% margin above the most prolific
average. Was there any actual logic in deciding to use 12 as a limit or
did you just pluck a number out of the air? It sounds like you're
actually posting more frequently now that you have a limit of 12.

Caomhin

Report this message

#8: Re: [M] Volume control

Posted on 2006-07-17 18:53:42 by Flesh-eating Dragon

Kevin Golding wrote:
&gt; 8'FED once did write....

&gt;&gt;[2] I'm running even less short now. This is my eighth, and there are
&gt;&gt; only two and a quarter hours until midnight.
&gt;
&gt; So if you keep coming in under your allowance without even trying I'm
&gt; not sure I fully grasp what this limit achieves? In fact, looking at
&gt; Aq's stats you're apparently posting an average of 5.2 posts/day which
&gt; would make your limit of 12 a bit like me promising not to spend more
&gt; than 100UKP/day on bread - so far above average as to be slightly
&gt; redundant.
&gt;
&gt; In fact, working from Aq's figures again the most frequent poster is
&gt; only 8.1 anyway so there's almost a 50% margin above the most prolific
&gt; average. Was there any actual logic in deciding to use 12 as a limit or
&gt; did you just pluck a number out of the air? It sounds like you're
&gt; actually posting more frequently now that you have a limit of 12.

Several points to cover here. I'll try to mention all of them.

&quot;Without even trying&quot; is overstating things a little, as it implies no
effort whatsoever. [1] A better phrase would be &quot;without much effort&quot;.
There were times, particularly early in the day, when I might otherwise
have posted one or two extra times. Or might not. Who knows?

However, afp has been quieter than usual this week, so it's hardly
surprising that staying below the limit is easy. It's like being
surprised at how well I resist the urge to throw snowballs in summer.
Last month, it was noisier than usual. There is a happy medium, but
she's hiding in order to avoid being hit by the pendulum. The limit
of twelve is intended to apply in all weather, and will be put to the
test next time things on afp are moderately busy.

I can't be bothered looking up what time period the 5.2 figure is
calculated over, but it inevitably includes some days when I didn't
post anything whatsoever. If you round off a month to thirty days,
then according to Google:

Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
2004 --- --- --- --- --- --- [2] 5.9 3.6 8.0 9.2 6.5
2005 7.2 4.1 4.5 8.0 3.6 5.6 7.7 8.0 7.1 6.7 9.3 3.8
2006 9.2 3.1 5.8 10.5 5.2 11.4

This gives a total average of 6.7 posts/day (more than half of the
strict maximum). You have to remember that posts/day fluctuates a lot,
(according to mood, opportunity, interestingness of topics, etc) and
there will be extremes on either side of any average shown, from zero
to I don't know what. Your reasoning places too much emphasis on
averages and not enough on deviation. You might say it looks like I'm
posting more now, but a comparison involving such a short timespan is
meaningless.

I didn't pluck twelve out of the air. I chose it by decomposing twelve
into an average of three posts each in the morning, afternoon, evening
and night, and I did that by thinking about what is reasonable when
afp is at its very busiest. When I decided on the quota, the following
days were still very fresh in my memory:

- On 28 June I made 22 posts.
- On 29 June I made 19 posts.
- On 30 June I made 22 posts.
- On 01 July I made 22 posts.

In the light of those figures, a limit of twelve might seem more
relevant.

Now to the summary:

The *direct* effect of a limit of twelve is to prevent binge posting.
It cuts back my posting rate on the days when I am most prolific,
which affects my average in the same way that decimation by means of
decapitation affects average height. It also reminds me to think twice
before posting on any day, because (particularly in the mornings) I
have to consider that there may be some very interesting discussions
that I haven't read yet. Consider a day on which I post eight times
but would have posted ten, because when I decided against posting the
extra two it was too early to know if they would be better saved. Such
days are inevitable.

Those are *direct* effects. But, to get the full picture, you have to
consider *indirect* effects. This is the psychological aspect: the way
that the existence of a limit is likely, over time, to instill certain
habits of mind, beyond consideration of the limit itself. Next time
the quota of twelve is really put to the test (as it will be whenever
afp is busy again), I'll get good practice on keeping my posting rate
down, and that may influence the way I think about posting generally,
even on quieter days.

All things considered, I believe there is a strong case that a limit
of twelve is not redundant at all.

Adrian.

[1] I *would* use the words &quot;without even trying&quot; to describe how
easily I've stayed under my /other/ quota, that of no more than
four posts to the same thread. I have not even been vaguely
tempted to post more than three times a day on the same topic.

[2] I started using this email address in July 2004, but that wasn't a
full month so it doesn't count.

Report this message

#9: Re: [M] Volume control

Posted on 2006-07-18 14:17:20 by Kath

8'FED wrote:
&gt; Kevin Golding wrote:
&gt;&gt; 8'FED once did write....
&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt; [2] I'm running even less short now. This is my eighth, and there are
&gt;&gt;&gt; only two and a quarter hours until midnight.
&gt;&gt; So if you keep coming in under your allowance without even trying I'm
&gt;&gt; not sure I fully grasp what this limit achieves? In fact, looking at
&gt;&gt; Aq's stats you're apparently posting an average of 5.2 posts/day which
&gt;&gt; would make your limit of 12 a bit like me promising not to spend more
&gt;&gt; than 100UKP/day on bread - so far above average as to be slightly
&gt;&gt; redundant.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; In fact, working from Aq's figures again the most frequent poster is
&gt;&gt; only 8.1 anyway so there's almost a 50% margin above the most prolific
&gt;&gt; average. Was there any actual logic in deciding to use 12 as a limit or
&gt;&gt; did you just pluck a number out of the air? It sounds like you're
&gt;&gt; actually posting more frequently now that you have a limit of 12.
&gt;
&gt; Several points to cover here. I'll try to mention all of them.

&lt;snip copious dissertation worthy paragraphs&gt;

&gt; All things considered, I believe there is a strong case that a limit
&gt; of twelve is not redundant at all.

/me thinks you have too much time on your hands chick.

--
Kath

Report this message

#10: Re: [M] Volume control

Posted on 2006-07-18 16:35:26 by Flesh-eating Dragon

Kath wrote:
&gt; 8'FED wrote:

&gt;&gt; Several points to cover here. I'll try to mention all of them.
&gt;
&gt; &lt;snip copious dissertation worthy paragraphs&gt;
&gt;
&gt;&gt; All things considered, I believe there is a strong case that a limit
&gt;&gt; of twelve is not redundant at all.
&gt;
&gt; /me thinks you have too much time on your hands chick.

Ha, well, I freely confess to being amused at being called &quot;chick&quot;. :-)

Adrian.

Report this message

#11: Re: [M] Volume control

Posted on 2006-07-19 03:31:42 by Lesley Weston

in article e9eljt$1abr$<a href="mailto:1&#64;mud.stack.nl" target="_blank">1&#64;mud.stack.nl</a>, 8'FED at <a href="mailto:dragon&#64;netyp.com.au" target="_blank">dragon&#64;netyp.com.au</a> wrote on
16/07/2006 5:30 PM:

&gt; Lesley Weston wrote:
&gt;
&gt;&gt; Often I'm not sure, but this time I know for certain that you're Employing
&gt;&gt; Irony. Which is always nice to see.
&gt;
&gt; No, you're wrong. I'm serious, and am Employing Consideration For Others.

In that case, what do you think of my earlier suggestion of adapting the
Kyoto protocols to afp's purposes? At the end of each day, you (generic)
could review your posts for that day, checking for Humorous Content and
Verbosity, and if you feel you have exceeded the amount of either that you
allow yourself in one day, you could trade the surplus with another poster
for their unused quota of the other quality. Similarly, if you have unused
posts of any type left over, you could trade those for another poster's
excessive use of either Humorous Content or Verbosity.

By employing this system, we could ensure that afp has a flat, even
nature from one day to the next, with no surprises.

--
Lesley Weston.

Brightly_coloured_blob is real, but I don't often check even the few bits
that get through Yahoo's filters. To reach me, use leswes att shaw dott ca,
changing spelling and spacing as required.

Report this message

#12: Re: [M] Volume control

Posted on 2006-07-19 04:37:58 by Stacie Hanes

Lesley Weston wrote:
&gt; in article e9eljt$1abr$<a href="mailto:1&#64;mud.stack.nl" target="_blank">1&#64;mud.stack.nl</a>, 8'FED at <a href="mailto:dragon&#64;netyp.com.au" target="_blank">dragon&#64;netyp.com.au</a>
&gt; wrote on 16/07/2006 5:30 PM:
&gt;
&gt;&gt; Lesley Weston wrote:
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt; Often I'm not sure, but this time I know for certain that you're
&gt;&gt;&gt; Employing Irony. Which is always nice to see.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; No, you're wrong. I'm serious, and am Employing Consideration For
&gt;&gt; Others.
&gt;
&gt; In that case, what do you think of my earlier suggestion of
&gt; adapting the Kyoto protocols to afp's purposes?

I actually approve of it enthusiastically, but then, I would. I write haiku
because I like following rules with words--which is the same reason I'm an
English teacher, when you get right down to it. I'm a big fan of games with
lots of technicalities.

--
4th swordswoman of the afpocalypse, AFPMinister of Flexible Weapons,
Bondage-happy predator, Speaker-To-Students, SadoMangoist,
AFPMistress to peachy, 8'FED's AFPDeliciousSnack, AFPFiance to A.
Nevill , Graycat's Guttersnipe

Report this message

#13: Re: [M] Volume control

Posted on 2006-07-19 21:41:17 by James Mitchelhill

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 22:37:58 -0400, Anastasia wrote:

&lt;snip&gt;
&gt; I write haiku
&gt; because I like following rules with words--which is the same reason I'm an
&gt; English teacher, when you get right down to it. I'm a big fan of games with
&gt; lots of technicalities.

Have you ever heard of a game called Nomic?

--
James Mitchelhill
<a href="mailto:james&#64;disorderfeed.net" target="_blank">james&#64;disorderfeed.net</a>
<a href="http://disorderfeed.net" target="_blank">http://disorderfeed.net</a>

Report this message

#14: Re: [M] Volume control

Posted on 2006-07-20 00:53:41 by Eric Jarvis

James Mitchelhill <a href="mailto:james&#64;disorderfeed.net" target="_blank">james&#64;disorderfeed.net</a> wrote in
&lt;1boy1x99lso1k.1eqt2c9ekn9eq$<a href="mailto:.dlg&#64;40tude.net" target="_blank">.dlg&#64;40tude.net</a>&gt;:
&gt; On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 22:37:58 -0400, Anastasia wrote:
&gt;
&gt; &lt;snip&gt;
&gt; &gt; I write haiku
&gt; &gt; because I like following rules with words--which is the same reason I'm an
&gt; &gt; English teacher, when you get right down to it. I'm a big fan of games with
&gt; &gt; lots of technicalities.
&gt;
&gt; Have you ever heard of a game called Nomic?
&gt;

I've played it several times. On the whole I prefer Mornington Crescent.

I never win at either, but with Mornington Crescent that's a good thing.

--
eric
www.ericjarvis.co.uk
&quot;live fast, die only if strictly necessary&quot;

Report this message

#15: Re: [M] Volume control

Posted on 2006-07-20 05:39:34 by Stacie Hanes

James Mitchelhill wrote:
&gt; On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 22:37:58 -0400, Anastasia wrote:
&gt;
&gt; &lt;snip&gt;
&gt;&gt; I write haiku
&gt;&gt; because I like following rules with words--which is the same
&gt;&gt; reason I'm an English teacher, when you get right down to it. I'm
&gt;&gt; a big fan of games with lots of technicalities.
&gt;
&gt; Have you ever heard of a game called Nomic?

No, I haven't. Rather than look it up, I leave you the pleasure of
enlightening me and any other interested parties.

--
4th swordswoman of the afpocalypse, AFPMinister of Flexible Weapons,
Bondage-happy predator, Speaker-To-Students, SadoMangoist,
AFPMistress to peachy, 8'FED's AFPDeliciousSnack, AFPFiance to A.
Nevill , Graycat's Guttersnipe

Report this message

#16: Re: [M] Volume control

Posted on 2006-07-20 21:49:31 by James Mitchelhill

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 23:39:34 -0400, Anastasia wrote:

&gt; James Mitchelhill wrote:
&gt;&gt; On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 22:37:58 -0400, Anastasia wrote:
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; &lt;snip&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt; I write haiku
&gt;&gt;&gt; because I like following rules with words--which is the same
&gt;&gt;&gt; reason I'm an English teacher, when you get right down to it. I'm
&gt;&gt;&gt; a big fan of games with lots of technicalities.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; Have you ever heard of a game called Nomic?
&gt;
&gt; No, I haven't. Rather than look it up, I leave you the pleasure of
&gt; enlightening me and any other interested parties.

I'll quote from the NomicWiki
&lt;<a href="http://www.nomic.net/~nomicwiki/index.php/GameOfNomic" target="_blank">http://www.nomic.net/~nomicwiki/index.php/GameOfNomic</a>&gt;:

&quot;Nomic is a game, and it is a lot of FUN! Unlike most games, the rules
of nomic are not written in stone. In fact, the object of the game is to
make changes to the rules of the game. Players start off following some
&quot;initial rule-set&quot;, which dictates how the rules can be changed. Once a
rule change has been made, players then follow this new rule set. Most
importantly, the rules about how rule changes are made can themselves be
changed!

This is where it tends to get mystical, because as a result of these
rule changes, the game you are playing will change from moment to
moment. The nature of the rule changing mechanism might change from
democratic to capitalist, to totalitarian, to whatever. Or the ability
to change the rules might be removed entirely - perhaps the game will
turn into chess, or tag, or snap. The future of the game is entirely in
the hands of the players.&quot;

--
James Mitchelhill
<a href="mailto:james&#64;disorderfeed.net" target="_blank">james&#64;disorderfeed.net</a>
<a href="http://disorderfeed.net" target="_blank">http://disorderfeed.net</a>

Report this message

#17: Re: [I] Volume control

Posted on 2006-07-20 23:06:01 by Brian Howlett

On 20 Jul, James Mitchelhill wrote:

[snip]

&gt; I'll quote from the NomicWiki
&gt; &lt;<a href="http://www.nomic.net/~nomicwiki/index.php/GameOfNomic" target="_blank">http://www.nomic.net/~nomicwiki/index.php/GameOfNomic</a>&gt;:
&gt;
[snip]
&gt;
&gt; This is where it tends to get mystical, because as a result of these
&gt; rule changes, the game you are playing will change from moment to
&gt; moment. The nature of the rule changing mechanism might change from
&gt; democratic to capitalist, to totalitarian, to whatever. Or the ability
&gt; to change the rules might be removed entirely - perhaps the game will
&gt; turn into chess, or tag, or snap. The future of the game is entirely in
&gt; the hands of the players.&quot;
&gt;
In other words, a shouting match waiting to happen. [1]

[1] Given my experience of playing board games which are supposed to
have rules which *are* set in stone, this would most likely end up in
someone getting seriously injured...
--
Brian Howlett - Email to From: address deleted unseen
-----------------------------------------------------
&quot;Pride is all very well, but a sausage is a sausage&quot;
The Famous Gaspode, Men at Arms, Terry Pratchett

Report this message

#18: Re: [I] Volume control

Posted on 2006-07-21 00:15:03 by matt

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 22:06:01 +0100, Brian Howlett wrote:

&gt; On 20 Jul, James Mitchelhill wrote:
&gt;
&gt; [snip]
&gt;
&gt;&gt; I'll quote from the NomicWiki
&gt;&gt; &lt;<a href="http://www.nomic.net/~nomicwiki/index.php/GameOfNomic" target="_blank">http://www.nomic.net/~nomicwiki/index.php/GameOfNomic</a>&gt;:
&gt;&gt;
&gt; [snip]
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; This is where it tends to get mystical, because as a result of these
&gt;&gt; rule changes, the game you are playing will change from moment to
&gt;&gt; moment. The nature of the rule changing mechanism might change from
&gt;&gt; democratic to capitalist, to totalitarian, to whatever. Or the ability
&gt;&gt; to change the rules might be removed entirely - perhaps the game will
&gt;&gt; turn into chess, or tag, or snap. The future of the game is entirely in
&gt;&gt; the hands of the players.&quot;
&gt;&gt;
&gt; In other words, a shouting match waiting to happen. [1]
&gt;
&gt; [1] Given my experience of playing board games which are supposed to have
&gt; rules which *are* set in stone, this would most likely end up in someone
&gt; getting seriously injured...

Excuse me? I think you'll find paragraph 4 of section 8 of the rulebook
CLEARLY states injuries can only be deemed serious after a roll of 12 on
the dice, or in a situation arising from the leading player invoking the
5th clause of the King James modification when permitted to do so.

Keeping in with the spirit of the game, however, I will travel to Holborn,
this move being allowed under the 1982 modifications to the game.

--
Matt

Report this message

#19: Re: [I] Volume control

Posted on 2006-07-21 02:10:06 by Brian Howlett

On 20 Jul, Matt wrote:

&gt; On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 22:06:01 +0100, Brian Howlett wrote:

[snip]

&gt;&gt; Given my experience of playing board games which are supposed to have
&gt;&gt; rules which *are* set in stone, this would most likely end up in someone
&gt;&gt; getting seriously injured...
&gt;
&gt; Excuse me? I think you'll find paragraph 4 of section 8 of the rulebook
&gt; CLEARLY states injuries can only be deemed serious after a roll of 12 on
&gt; the dice, or in a situation arising from the leading player invoking the
&gt; 5th clause of the King James modification when permitted to do so.
&gt;
&gt; Keeping in with the spirit of the game, however, I will travel to Holborn,
&gt; this move being allowed under the 1982 modifications to the game.
&gt;
Aha! I see your game...

Remember, there were 2 sets of Rules Modifications in 1982.
Accordingly, I declare your move invalid, unless it is the third
thursday of a month with an &quot;R&quot; in it.
--
Brian Howlett - Email to From: address deleted unseen
-----------------------------------------------------
&quot;You ought to be bloody well hung!&quot;
&quot;What do you mean, 'ought to be'?&quot;

Report this message

#20: Re: [I] Volume control

Posted on 2006-07-22 01:29:53 by Eric Jarvis

Brian Howlett <a href="mailto:news-spamtrap&#64;brianhowlett.me.uk" target="_blank">news-spamtrap&#64;brianhowlett.me.uk</a> wrote in
&lt;<a href="mailto:0a1ba4494e.Brian&#64;brianhowlett.me.uk" target="_blank">0a1ba4494e.Brian&#64;brianhowlett.me.uk</a>&gt;:
&gt; On 20 Jul, Matt wrote:
&gt;
&gt; &gt; On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 22:06:01 +0100, Brian Howlett wrote:
&gt;
&gt; [snip]
&gt;
&gt; &gt;&gt; Given my experience of playing board games which are supposed to have
&gt; &gt;&gt; rules which *are* set in stone, this would most likely end up in someone
&gt; &gt;&gt; getting seriously injured...
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; Excuse me? I think you'll find paragraph 4 of section 8 of the rulebook
&gt; &gt; CLEARLY states injuries can only be deemed serious after a roll of 12 on
&gt; &gt; the dice, or in a situation arising from the leading player invoking the
&gt; &gt; 5th clause of the King James modification when permitted to do so.
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; Keeping in with the spirit of the game, however, I will travel to Holborn,
&gt; &gt; this move being allowed under the 1982 modifications to the game.
&gt; &gt;
&gt; Aha! I see your game...
&gt;
&gt; Remember, there were 2 sets of Rules Modifications in 1982.
&gt; Accordingly, I declare your move invalid, unless it is the third
&gt; thursday of a month with an &quot;R&quot; in it.
&gt;

The Auchinleck-Potheridge Amendment from the 1917 Much Wenlock Conclave
was determined to preclude that particular modification during the 1994
National Congress in East Angmering. You cannot invoke the King James
modification when the Piccadilly Line is involved even peripherally.
However, in cases where the now defunct Brompton Road station might affect
the move then the King James version is the only appropriate reference.

As a consequence Matt's move is legitimate. Since it's July the Plowright
variation is in force, and thus I shall respond with the somewhat
defensive Collier's Wood. Yes I am wearing a hat.

--
eric
www.ericjarvis.co.uk
&quot;live fast, die only if strictly necessary&quot;

Report this message

#21: Re: [I] Volume control

Posted on 2006-07-22 03:10:08 by Brian Howlett

On 22 Jul, Eric Jarvis wrote:

&gt; Brian Howlett <a href="mailto:news-spamtrap&#64;brianhowlett.me.uk" target="_blank">news-spamtrap&#64;brianhowlett.me.uk</a> wrote

[snip]

&gt;&gt; Remember, there were 2 sets of Rules Modifications in 1982.
&gt;&gt; Accordingly, I declare your move invalid, unless it is the third
&gt;&gt; thursday of a month with an &quot;R&quot; in it.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;
&gt; The Auchinleck-Potheridge Amendment from the 1917 Much Wenlock Conclave
&gt; was determined to preclude that particular modification during the 1994
&gt; National Congress in East Angmering. You cannot invoke the King James
&gt; modification when the Piccadilly Line is involved even peripherally.
&gt; However, in cases where the now defunct Brompton Road station might affect
&gt; the move then the King James version is the only appropriate reference.
&gt;
&gt; As a consequence Matt's move is legitimate. Since it's July the Plowright
&gt; variation is in force, and thus I shall respond with the somewhat
&gt; defensive Collier's Wood. Yes I am wearing a hat.
&gt;
You will note that I inadvertently spelled Thursday with a lower-case
&quot;T&quot;. This immediately brings Thrapple's Nodulation into play, allowing
me to by-pass the Piccadilly Line in its entirety.

Despite your titfer wearing ploy, I have no choice but to invoke the
little-known Gambon's Gambit, and declare Bank.

Should you remove the hat, I will be forced on to the Docklands Light
Railway, with all that that entails...
--
Brian Howlett - Email to From: address deleted unseen
-----------------------------------------------------
&quot;I'm Brian, and so's my wife...&quot;

Report this message

#22: -C- Mornington Crescent (was (ironically enough): Volume control)

Posted on 2006-07-22 14:39:53 by Daibhid Ceannaideach

The time: 22 Jul 2006. The place: alt.fan.pratchett. The
speaker: Brian Howlett &lt;<a href="mailto:news-spamtrap&#64;brianhowlett.me.uk" target="_blank">news-spamtrap&#64;brianhowlett.me.uk</a>&gt;

&gt; On 22 Jul, Eric Jarvis wrote:
&gt;
&gt;&gt; Brian Howlett <a href="mailto:news-spamtrap&#64;brianhowlett.me.uk" target="_blank">news-spamtrap&#64;brianhowlett.me.uk</a> wrote
&gt;
&gt; [snip]
&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt; Remember, there were 2 sets of Rules Modifications in
&gt;&gt;&gt; 1982. Accordingly, I declare your move invalid, unless it
&gt;&gt;&gt; is the third thursday of a month with an &quot;R&quot; in it.
&gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; The Auchinleck-Potheridge Amendment from the 1917 Much
&gt;&gt; Wenlock Conclave was determined to preclude that
&gt;&gt; particular modification during the 1994 National Congress
&gt;&gt; in East Angmering. You cannot invoke the King James
&gt;&gt; modification when the Piccadilly Line is involved even
&gt;&gt; peripherally. However, in cases where the now defunct
&gt;&gt; Brompton Road station might affect the move then the King
&gt;&gt; James version is the only appropriate reference.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; As a consequence Matt's move is legitimate. Since it's
&gt;&gt; July the Plowright variation is in force, and thus I shall
&gt;&gt; respond with the somewhat defensive Collier's Wood. Yes I
&gt;&gt; am wearing a hat.
&gt;&gt;
&gt; You will note that I inadvertently spelled Thursday with a
&gt; lower-case &quot;T&quot;. This immediately brings Thrapple's
&gt; Nodulation into play, allowing me to by-pass the Piccadilly
&gt; Line in its entirety.
&gt;
&gt; Despite your titfer wearing ploy, I have no choice but to
&gt; invoke the little-known Gambon's Gambit, and declare Bank.
&gt;
&gt; Should you remove the hat, I will be forced on to the
&gt; Docklands Light Railway, with all that that entails...

It's a Saturday, and I'm not wearing a tie, so I invoke the
2002 Casual Day Rules, and move directly to the Elephant and
Castle. I'm pretty sure that leaves someone below the
diagonal, and probably in Nid.

--
Dave
Official Absentee of EU Skiffeysoc
<a href="http://www.eusa.ed.ac.uk/societies/sesoc" target="_blank">http://www.eusa.ed.ac.uk/societies/sesoc</a>
&quot;If being stuck in a swamp with Christine Hamilton
is 'reality', pass the mind-altering drugs.&quot;
-Humphrey Lyttelton, &quot;I'm Sorry, I Haven't A Clue&quot;

Report this message

#23: Re: -C- Mornington Crescent (was (ironically enough): Volume control)

Posted on 2006-07-22 18:43:02 by Lister

On 22 Jul 2006 12:39:53 GMT, Daibhid Ceanaideach
&lt;<a href="mailto:daibhidchenedelh&#64;aol.com" target="_blank">daibhidchenedelh&#64;aol.com</a>&gt; wrote:

&gt;
&gt;It's a Saturday, and I'm not wearing a tie, so I invoke the
&gt;2002 Casual Day Rules, and move directly to the Elephant and
&gt;Castle. I'm pretty sure that leaves someone below the
&gt;diagonal, and probably in Nid.


Now, where *did* I put that map of the Nodnol Underground?

Report this message

#24: Re: -C- Mornington Crescent (was (ironically enough): Volume control)

Posted on 2006-07-22 20:12:33 by Dom

Lister wrote:
&gt;
&gt; Now, where *did* I put that map of the Nodnol Underground?

&lt;<a href="http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/pdfdocs/colourmap.gif" target="_blank">http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/pdfdocs/colourmap.gif</a>&gt;

--
Dom
afpSlave to CCA

Report this message

#25: Re: -C- Mornington Crescent (was (ironically enough): Volume control)

Posted on 2006-07-22 21:41:08 by raltbos

Lister &lt;<a href="mailto:fache&#64;SPAMclara.net" target="_blank">fache&#64;SPAMclara.net</a>&gt; wrote:

&gt; On 22 Jul 2006 12:39:53 GMT, Daibhid Ceanaideach
&gt; &lt;<a href="mailto:daibhidchenedelh&#64;aol.com" target="_blank">daibhidchenedelh&#64;aol.com</a>&gt; wrote:
&gt;
&gt; &gt;It's a Saturday, and I'm not wearing a tie, so I invoke the
&gt; &gt;2002 Casual Day Rules, and move directly to the Elephant and
&gt; &gt;Castle. I'm pretty sure that leaves someone below the
&gt; &gt;diagonal, and probably in Nid.
&gt;
&gt; Now, where *did* I put that map of the Nodnol Underground?

Pfff... cheating.

Richard

Report this message

#26: Re: -C- Mornington Crescent (was (ironically enough): Volume control)

Posted on 2006-07-22 22:26:48 by Lister

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 19:41:08 GMT, <a href="mailto:raltbos&#64;xs4all.nl" target="_blank">raltbos&#64;xs4all.nl</a> (Richard Bos)
wrote:

&gt;Lister &lt;<a href="mailto:fache&#64;SPAMclara.net" target="_blank">fache&#64;SPAMclara.net</a>&gt; wrote:
&gt;
&gt;&gt; On 22 Jul 2006 12:39:53 GMT, Daibhid Ceanaideach
&gt;&gt; &lt;<a href="mailto:daibhidchenedelh&#64;aol.com" target="_blank">daibhidchenedelh&#64;aol.com</a>&gt; wrote:
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; &gt;It's a Saturday, and I'm not wearing a tie, so I invoke the
&gt;&gt; &gt;2002 Casual Day Rules, and move directly to the Elephant and
&gt;&gt; &gt;Castle. I'm pretty sure that leaves someone below the
&gt;&gt; &gt;diagonal, and probably in Nid.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; Now, where *did* I put that map of the Nodnol Underground?
&gt;
&gt;Pfff... cheating.



I have a bad sense of geography, sue me :)

Report this message

#27: Re: -C- Mornington Crescent (was (ironically enough): Volume control)

Posted on 2006-07-23 00:19:47 by Eric Jarvis

Daibhid Ceanaideach <a href="mailto:daibhidchenedelh&#64;aol.com" target="_blank">daibhidchenedelh&#64;aol.com</a> wrote in
&lt;<a href="mailto:Xns98088B0303ECEdaibhid&#64;130.133.1.4" target="_blank">Xns98088B0303ECEdaibhid&#64;130.133.1.4</a>&gt;:
&gt; The time: 22 Jul 2006. The place: alt.fan.pratchett. The
&gt; speaker: Brian Howlett &lt;<a href="mailto:news-spamtrap&#64;brianhowlett.me.uk" target="_blank">news-spamtrap&#64;brianhowlett.me.uk</a>&gt;
&gt;
&gt; &gt; On 22 Jul, Eric Jarvis wrote:
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;&gt; Brian Howlett <a href="mailto:news-spamtrap&#64;brianhowlett.me.uk" target="_blank">news-spamtrap&#64;brianhowlett.me.uk</a> wrote
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; [snip]
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt; Remember, there were 2 sets of Rules Modifications in
&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt; 1982. Accordingly, I declare your move invalid, unless it
&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt; is the third thursday of a month with an &quot;R&quot; in it.
&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt; &gt;&gt;
&gt; &gt;&gt; The Auchinleck-Potheridge Amendment from the 1917 Much
&gt; &gt;&gt; Wenlock Conclave was determined to preclude that
&gt; &gt;&gt; particular modification during the 1994 National Congress
&gt; &gt;&gt; in East Angmering. You cannot invoke the King James
&gt; &gt;&gt; modification when the Piccadilly Line is involved even
&gt; &gt;&gt; peripherally. However, in cases where the now defunct
&gt; &gt;&gt; Brompton Road station might affect the move then the King
&gt; &gt;&gt; James version is the only appropriate reference.
&gt; &gt;&gt;
&gt; &gt;&gt; As a consequence Matt's move is legitimate. Since it's
&gt; &gt;&gt; July the Plowright variation is in force, and thus I shall
&gt; &gt;&gt; respond with the somewhat defensive Collier's Wood. Yes I
&gt; &gt;&gt; am wearing a hat.
&gt; &gt;&gt;
&gt; &gt; You will note that I inadvertently spelled Thursday with a
&gt; &gt; lower-case &quot;T&quot;. This immediately brings Thrapple's
&gt; &gt; Nodulation into play, allowing me to by-pass the Piccadilly
&gt; &gt; Line in its entirety.
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; Despite your titfer wearing ploy, I have no choice but to
&gt; &gt; invoke the little-known Gambon's Gambit, and declare Bank.
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; Should you remove the hat, I will be forced on to the
&gt; &gt; Docklands Light Railway, with all that that entails...
&gt;
&gt; It's a Saturday, and I'm not wearing a tie, so I invoke the
&gt; 2002 Casual Day Rules, and move directly to the Elephant and
&gt; Castle. I'm pretty sure that leaves someone below the
&gt; diagonal, and probably in Nid.
&gt;

Indeed it does. I must congratulate you on a perfectly applied Fowles-Gore
gambit. Your use of a westbound Circle Line abutment to prevent access to
the usual Dollis Hill escape route is quite masterful.

However there still remains the option to declare the Central Line to be
trumps.

I'm very glad it's not my turn next.

--
eric
www.ericjarvis.co.uk
&quot;live fast, die only if strictly necessary&quot;

Report this message

#28: Re: -C- Mornington Crescent (was (ironically enough): Volume control)

Posted on 2006-07-23 01:04:43 by Jonathan Ellis

&quot;Eric Jarvis&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:ericjarvis&#64;gmail.com" target="_blank">ericjarvis&#64;gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote in message
news:<a href="mailto:MPG.1f2cb4c638b9f3b6989dfb&#64;cenote.gkhs.net..." target="_blank">MPG.1f2cb4c638b9f3b6989dfb&#64;cenote.gkhs.net...</a>
&gt; Daibhid Ceanaideach <a href="mailto:daibhidchenedelh&#64;aol.com" target="_blank">daibhidchenedelh&#64;aol.com</a> wrote in
&gt; &lt;<a href="mailto:Xns98088B0303ECEdaibhid&#64;130.133.1.4" target="_blank">Xns98088B0303ECEdaibhid&#64;130.133.1.4</a>&gt;:
&gt; &gt; The time: 22 Jul 2006. The place: alt.fan.pratchett. The
&gt; &gt; speaker: Brian Howlett &lt;<a href="mailto:news-spamtrap&#64;brianhowlett.me.uk" target="_blank">news-spamtrap&#64;brianhowlett.me.uk</a>&gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; On 22 Jul, Eric Jarvis wrote:
&gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt;&gt; Brian Howlett <a href="mailto:news-spamtrap&#64;brianhowlett.me.uk" target="_blank">news-spamtrap&#64;brianhowlett.me.uk</a> wrote
&gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; [snip]
&gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt;&gt;&gt; Remember, there were 2 sets of Rules Modifications in
&gt; &gt; &gt;&gt;&gt; 1982. Accordingly, I declare your move invalid, unless it
&gt; &gt; &gt;&gt;&gt; is the third thursday of a month with an &quot;R&quot; in it.
&gt; &gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt;&gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt;&gt; The Auchinleck-Potheridge Amendment from the 1917 Much
&gt; &gt; &gt;&gt; Wenlock Conclave was determined to preclude that
&gt; &gt; &gt;&gt; particular modification during the 1994 National Congress
&gt; &gt; &gt;&gt; in East Angmering. You cannot invoke the King James
&gt; &gt; &gt;&gt; modification when the Piccadilly Line is involved even
&gt; &gt; &gt;&gt; peripherally. However, in cases where the now defunct
&gt; &gt; &gt;&gt; Brompton Road station might affect the move then the King
&gt; &gt; &gt;&gt; James version is the only appropriate reference.
&gt; &gt; &gt;&gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt;&gt; As a consequence Matt's move is legitimate. Since it's
&gt; &gt; &gt;&gt; July the Plowright variation is in force, and thus I shall
&gt; &gt; &gt;&gt; respond with the somewhat defensive Collier's Wood. Yes I
&gt; &gt; &gt;&gt; am wearing a hat.
&gt; &gt; &gt;&gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; You will note that I inadvertently spelled Thursday with a
&gt; &gt; &gt; lower-case &quot;T&quot;. This immediately brings Thrapple's
&gt; &gt; &gt; Nodulation into play, allowing me to by-pass the Piccadilly
&gt; &gt; &gt; Line in its entirety.
&gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; Despite your titfer wearing ploy, I have no choice but to
&gt; &gt; &gt; invoke the little-known Gambon's Gambit, and declare Bank.
&gt; &gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &gt; Should you remove the hat, I will be forced on to the
&gt; &gt; &gt; Docklands Light Railway, with all that that entails...
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; It's a Saturday, and I'm not wearing a tie, so I invoke the
&gt; &gt; 2002 Casual Day Rules, and move directly to the Elephant and
&gt; &gt; Castle. I'm pretty sure that leaves someone below the
&gt; &gt; diagonal, and probably in Nid.
&gt; &gt;
&gt;
&gt; Indeed it does. I must congratulate you on a perfectly applied
Fowles-Gore
&gt; gambit. Your use of a westbound Circle Line abutment to prevent
access to
&gt; the usual Dollis Hill escape route is quite masterful.
&gt;
&gt; However there still remains the option to declare the Central Line
to be
&gt; trumps.
&gt;
&gt; I'm very glad it's not my turn next.

Mind if I join in?

If so, I'll open with a Thrackfarnham's Conversion at Bethnal Green.
If not, I'll just bugger off again. ;-)

Jonathan.

Report this message